Port Sudan

29th August 2014 by Helen

Port Sudan is hot hot hot, but then we are here at the hottest time of year. Just as in Khartoum and elsewhere everyone is polite and friendly and it’s an absolute joy to be in this country. Our first couple of days were spent making contact and final arrangements with the shippers. On Tuesday Paul was very grateful for some paid help in the final washing and cleaning of Landy before shipping, but there was still a lot of work for him to do in the 50C shadeless heat to ensure everything was packed safely and securely while I kept him supplied with endless bottles of water. On Wednesday Landy went into his container. We were a bit nervous about the photos of his lashings and we had the container opened and re-lashed. Still not confident – it seems the lashing was done the ‘African way’!

Sadly it was too hot to really explore much of Port Sudan on foot but on Thursday we took our first ever Tuk Tuk ride to the famous fish market down by the Red Sea. The market it quite small and it was late in the day but there were still plenty of fish available. Nobody seemed to mind that we were tourists wanting photos more than to buy fish but we did stop at the only nearby restaurant for our fish supper before taking another Tuk Tuk back to the town centre.

Like everywhere in Sudan there is little in the way of ‘welfare’ and begging and giving to beggars is pretty normal.

Finally, it was time to leave again and on Friday we flew from Port Sudan back to the Acropole Hotel in Khartoum. Boarding the plane a man in his early 40’s stood at the bottom of the steps making sure all the women, children and elderly boarded first but Paul managed to find me once he was able to board. Paul was a little nervous as he looked out of the window and saw how close we were sitting to the propellers of the plane at Port Sudan but all was well and we arrived in Khartoum in one piece. Having landed though we experienced something on a plane we have never seen before. Nobody, absolutely nobody stood up when the plane came to a standstill, or before the seat belt lights went out. In fact nobody, except one young teenaged boy, bothered to stand up until the airline staff began to open the doors. No rush, no impatience. Amazing!

Leave a Reply